Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ich liebe...

So I realize now I have not mentioned my favorite things about Switzerland! While being an exchange student can be really tough sometimes, there are also some amazing benefits, and it is easy to think of many things that I love, and will miss when my year is over....
  • Cow bells (there everywhere! All the time!)
  • Church bells (every hour!)
  • Foamy hot chocolate (hard to explain)
  • Trains/ Buses/ Trams!!
  • My GA (train ticket...allows me to go anywhere, anytime for free!)
  • Things open past 8pm 
  • Random castles/ ruins behind my house
  • Bread every morning for breakfast
  • Zopf (Sunday bread)
  • chocolate!!!
  • windows that open both sideways and at an angle 
  • Cool shoes
  • European clothes
  • Biking everywhere
  • Kissing Greetings
  • Being able to bike up hills
  • Biking highways
  • German!
  • walking paths
  • Amazing views everywhere you look
  • The food :)
  • Milk in a bag
  • Recycling everything.....(and I mean everything!)
  • The sweets/pastry's/baked goods!!!
  • No school on Wednesday/Thursday mornings
  • The toilet wall flushers
  • Bed comforters with sheets (like a pillow case)
  • Rivella
  • Hours off from school (when no class)
  • Cooking! Everyone can cook (real cooking) (adults, teenagers, children, boys, girls, etc) 
  • Fellow AFS students
  • The sunset over Ormalingen
Thats a very short list, but to name a few. :) 

Things I don't like so much:
  • Expensive!! Living where the money is is not always a good thing.
  • School on Saturdays
  • School until 5pm
  • Biking everywhere (its cold in the mornings!)
  • German!
  • Homesickness
As you can see the "don't like" list, is much shorter then the "like" list :) 
Best Wishes to everyone near & far!
Ciao

3 comments:

Elijah said...

Hi!

I really enjoy reading your blog. I really like reading how you think of Switzerland as an exchange student...

One question: I didn't get what you exactly meant with "milk in bags"?

Danke!

elijah

Sarah A. said...

Hello! Thank you! Milk in a bag....Well its exactly how it sounds actually. The milk here comes in little plastic bags instead of Cartons like in the states. I will try and upload a picture soon. :)

Elijah said...

ouh.. oke

No, I just meant, because I live in Switzerland myself :).
And the only time I evan SAW milk in a bag was goat milk...
So I suppose you guys don't go shoppin in Coop or Migros (I suppose you've heard of the rivalry between these two main shops, in Switzerland you're either a Coop-kid or a Migros-kid ;) )...

Lookin' forward to see more of your experiences...

Grüessli uf Basel

elijah