Monday, December 13, 2010

"Samichlaus / Santichlaus" =)


 An amazing thing about an exchange year is learning about the many different traditions that take place around Christmas time. There are so many I have learned about so far, but here is one…Unlike in the US, Santa Clause is not the man who brings presents to Children on Christmas Eve. He is a man that comes on the evening of the 6th of December, and talks to the children about whether they have been good or bad. When a child has been good, they receive Chocolate, an Orange, and a Grittibänz (a man made out of sweet bread, and covered with sugar or chocolate. The tradition is similar to our Gingerbread men). However, when the children have been bad, Santichlaus has the brush part of a broom which he uses to smack them with before taking them with him back to the Black Forest where he lives (in Germany) in his sack. The children also recite a poem/song for the Santichlaus.



Last Monday night, along with Maggie (another exchange student from the USA) and our host families, I met "Santichlaus". Normally this tradition ends as the kids are older, but as we had never participated, our host families thought it would be great for us. I couldn't agree more. However this meant that I too had to learn and memorize a traditional song/poem to recite for Santichlaus when he came. It was hilarious how nervous I was. I only had the weekend to learn, and to make it harder, all the poems I could choose from were in Swiss-German (of course). But everyone from my class, and sports club were very helpful in making sure I learned every word, and found it hilarious as I tried to recite it. For your enjoyment I have attached the poem below along with a rough translation…



Im Schwarzwald                    Black Forest
Im Schwarzwald stoht es Hüsly,            In the black forest there is a house,
Im Schwarzwald stond viel Bäum.         In the black forest there are many trees.
Uf eimol lütet s' Glöggli,                        Suddenly rings a little bell,
Dr Santichlaus chunnt hei.                     Santaclaus is coming home. 

 Er chunnt vo vilne Chinder,                He comes for many Children
er chunnt vo mängem Huus.                He comes from many houses.
Sie Sack isch leer vom schänke,          His sack is empty of presents,
und Öpfeli si druus.                              and nothing is left.

 Im Tannewald isch finschter,                The fir forest is dark,     
im Tannewald hets Schnee.                the fir forest has snow.
am Himmel lüchte Sternli,                the sky is lighted by stars,
Sisch Wihnachtszit Juhee!                Its Christmas time, Hurray!    


We started with a dinner of various cheeses, meats, nuts, clementines, and chocolate (Traditional things for the holiday). There were eleven of us, and the whole thing was amazing. Lots of talking and laughing. We were about half way through dinner when the doorbell rang. Maggie and I were forced to answer alone, and found Samichlaus waiting for us with his bell, sack, etc. He came to the table to join us at the table, and after much small talk, opened his book and started reading from his list of the good things, and the bad things we have done. I found it quite hilarious listening to my family and friends all 15 and older, talking to Santa, "Why hello Samichlaus", "please sit here Samichlaus", "yeah you met me last year, have you already forgotten me?" etc. It was lots of fun! After reciting the poem and saying goodbye to Samichlaus we spent the rest of the night talking, and I found myself completely content. It was such a great night and I am so thankful that are host families put it together for us even though that is not normal past the age of 8. It is definitely a great tradition =)



Just two more weeks until Christmas! Happy holidays!

 


 


 

2 comments:

Jill USA mom said...

Glad Samichlaus found you to be one of the good children!

Melissa said...

Sarah! Gruezi! I'm a college student in Michigan, and your post has helped me with one of my projects!!!! Thank you so much for all of your detail, and posting the poem with the translation! That's just great! Like I said, it helped me a lot with my project! What a great experience for you!!! Did they tell you that if you had been bad, Schmutzli would put you in his bag and take you back to the Black Forrest? ;-) Good thing you were a good girl!
~Melissa